Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Freeze Four ~ Easy to Make Pie Crust Recipe


"Ma put the crust in the pie pan and
covered the bottom with brown sugar and spices."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Long Winter

This is perfect pie season since the warmth of the oven is welcome! I have such an easy pie crust recipe I would like to share. I usually make four at a time and freeze them. That way, they are all ready when I need them. This recipe works well with "baked" pies such as apple, peach and pumpkin. (Note: I do not recommend it for cream pies or fresh fruit pies since the dough is softer and will puff up in the bottom if baking unfilled.) A printable recipe is shared below.


First of all, you need a very large mixing bowl because

you are preparing four pie crusts for the price and time and energy of one! 

Place six cups of flour into a large mixing bowl and add four pinches of salt.


Next, add four tablespoons of sugar and


stir with a wooden spoon.


Now, add two cups of oil

(I use either a light olive oil or sunflower oil).


Mix again with wooden spoon until it looks almost mixed in (like above).


Using the same oily and dirty cup (you don't want to wash twice do you???),

place one cup of water and add to the mixture.


Now for the dirty part… dig those hands in and
knead until just blended in.
Dough should resemble the above photo (should only take a minute).

Divide into four parts with a butter knife and
shape each piece into a disc.


Begin rolling out your crusts by placing one part 
of dough between two plastic wrap sheets.

Do not chill this dough (do not store dough in fridge), start rolling out right away.


 Roll into a circle or something close… 


Remove top plastic sheet and invert into pie pan
and then fit crust snugly inside.
Now remove other top piece of plastic wrap.

And crimp your edges...


Freeze each pie crust as you finish (or use right away). You can place in plastic bags or cover with plastic wrap. I invested in a couple of Stay Fresh Pie Containers and place my crusts safe and sound inside of them because my freezer is jam packed and this way I can stack things on top with no worry or damage to my delicate creations.

This recipe {free printable is here} yields four pie crust bottoms or two complete top/bottom style pies.


Variation: Use this crust for quiches by reducing the sugar in half.


Tip: Prepare a batch of crumb topping to freeze the same day for potential apple, blueberry and peach pies. Then, all you have to do is make your filling, pour into pie shell and sprinkle with crumb topping (bake and enjoy). Or, you can prepare the fruit filling now (except pumpkin since it doesn't freeze well), fill the pie crust, place the crumb topping on (or upper crust if you choose) and freeze uncooked. Then, just place in refrigerator the night before you want to serve it to defrost the pie and bake the next day. Don't ever place frozen glass pans straight into the oven or they will shatter.

Would you like to add this to your Recipe Book?

18 comments:

  1. I love this post! It reminded me of the good 'ole days when my sisters and I would spend and entire day making and freezing pie crusts with my mom. I think I'll give them a call and see if we can't get together and do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for better pie crust, I will try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing. And Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bless you! :o) I will have to do this! We are hoping to get another freezer here soon so I can put stuff away in it! We moved and had to sell ours a few years ago and boy do I miss it! This is a great recipe too because you use oil as I do instead of butter. :o) Can't wait to try this out! My lil bambino (as I'm calling the baby in the womb) has been wanting a pie or crisp in the last few days so I might have to oblige him ;o) I also think this would be a great recipe for pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this recipe is SO easy because of the oil… You can always cut it in half since you don't have a freezer now. A little bambino on the way :) May you and the child experience health in abundance!

      P.S. For the pot pie, cut the sugar in half :) Although I forget once and it still worked out fine...

      Delete
  4. "From the Farm" blog hop - hopping in. I love old fashioned recipes like this. I'm big of from scratch and especially batch cooking to freeze and use for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you on the "from scratch" and "freeze for the future"… This recipe is SO easy and really tasty. I hope you like it :)

      Delete
  5. Pinned- will give it a try. I have never had any luck with crust-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the easiest recipe ever! I know you will do well with it :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry JES- I was overly enthusiastic about the recipe, I hit post twice-
      Linda

      Delete
  7. Jes - this looks so easy and tasty.... I have never put sugar into my pie crust.. that would probably make it brown very nicely as well as add some sweetness. :) Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. his looks like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing on the HomeAcre Hop, hope to see you again tomorrow on the Hop! - Nancy The Home Acre Hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious, thanks for sharing :) Most of my crust recipes call for a heavy fat (like crisco), which makes them so heavy. I don't make them because of that. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I featured your recipe on The HomeAcre Hop today! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just pinned this. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/257690409908525416/
    I decided to go back to the beginning of your blog and enjoy it in the order you wrote it. I recently did that with Legacy of Home and am now doing it with my blog as well. I am currently in 2011 on my blog. I've been reminded of so many things our family, my children, and I have done over the years. You might enjoy reading your own blog, too!

    Be blessed!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! You are such a sweetheart! Your suggestions are good :)

      Delete